All of the current Service Packs available from Microsoft MUST be installed.
Information on Service Packs can be obtained from Microsoft's website at www.microsoft.com.
Note: These configurations have been thoroughly tested on systems running SIMMS alone. We cannot guarantee acceptable performance on, or support for, lesser configurations. You will require a more powerful configuration if you intend to run SIMMS plus other server-based applications at the same time since multitasking could adversely affect your SIMMS performance.
These requirements are subject to change. Prior to installing SIMMS, please review the most current Supported Platform Matrix. It is also important to view the hot Pre-Installation Issues. Both can be found on the SIMMS Software website www.kcsi.ca.
Note: Most of the items in the Miscellaneous Notes section are specific to network and system configurations.
KCSI can assist in making changes to your network or operating systems.
1. On all computer systems, only Intel Pentium-class processors (including Pentium 4 or higher) and 100 percent Intel-Pentium-compatible processors are supported.
2. Windows Vista Home and XP Home Edition is designed for home use and is not recommended for business or network use. By default, Windows Vista Home and XP Home Edition install personal features. To maintain stability and performance in SIMMS, do not install personal features that require a large amount of memory, resources, or processor usage.
3. Windows 8 or newer 64-Bit Edition has been tested and is supported with SIMMS.
4. SQL 2012 or newer or SQL Express can be installed on the same server as SIMMS for SQL or on a different server. Performance may be improved on smaller networks if both are installed on the same server. Networks with a large number of SIMMS users may get better performance if SQL is installed on a different server. Performance may also be affected by other network factors and should be considered when determining the configuration. SIMMS Software has no documented statistics concerning the proper configuration in relation to the number of users.
5. When running SIMMS over a Local Area Network (LAN) environment, the ping speeds will vary depending on the speed and configuration of the network. Typical ping speeds with 10,000 bytes of data should be between 20 and 30 milliseconds. Unacceptable ping speeds are over 400 milliseconds. If the SQL Server has a SCSI controller or a hardware RAID array installed, verify that the Write Caching features of those devices are disabled. The integrity of the SQL databases will be jeopardized if these devices are not disabled.
6. When running SIMMS over the Internet via an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and without a guaranteed bandwidth, individuals may experience dropped sessions and lost connections. If you run SIMMS over the Internet, KCSI recommends establishing a guaranteed bandwidth with your ISP. Consult your ISP about a guaranteed bandwidth solution.
7. TCP/IP must be installed and properly configured so that you can ping by computer name and IP address from the workstation to the server. You must be able to ping the workstation by IP address from the server.
For more information, refer to your SIMMS for SQL Server Installation Guide.